A San Diego school was evacuated Friday, after a Vice Principal mistook an 11-year-old student’s science project for a bomb.
Millennial Tech Magnet Middle School, grades 6 to 8, which emphasizes technology skills, was put on lockdown while authorities responded.
Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department,
said the project was made of an empty half-liter Gatorade bottle with some wires and other electrical components attached. There was no substance inside….
A MAST robot took pictures of the device and X-rays were evaluated. About 3 p.m., the device was determined to be harmless, Luque said.
Luque said the project was intended to be a type of motion-detector device.
Both the student and his parents were “very cooperative” with authorities, Luque said. He said fire officials also went to the student’s home and checked the garage to make sure items there were neither harmful nor explosive.
“There was nothing hazardous at the house,” Luque said….
Luque said both the student and his parents were extremely upset.
“He was very shaken by the whole situation, as were his parents,” Luque said.
According to the report,
The student will not be prosecuted, but authorities were recommending that he and his parents get counseling, the spokesman said. The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said.
What policies? And counseling for what? It sounds as though the Vice Principal needs counseling, or reassignment to a school where the students are less likely to bring science projects to school.