Scientists must get bored, spending all that time researching arcane topics. Sometimes, they just need to flex their creative muscles.
Following are names that some particularly artful scientists have given to various creatures, according to Professor Chris Impey in his new book How It Ends.
- a beetle named Agra vation
- a mollusk named Abra cadabra
- an extinct rat-kangaroo called Wakiewakie
- a spider genus named Orsonwelles
- a genus of snails called Bittium includes a small snail species named, predictably, Ittibittium